Software Engineering / Business Process Analysis and Design / Project Management
I have been working with computers and writing software since I was eleven years old, but my real value is seeing the big picture and being able to effectively communicate with stakeholders to develop real solutions. Trying to make a positive impact on the world and solving interesting problems are more important than making a lot of money - but money is good too. My family is my favorite people and I enjoy mentoring kids and spending time in the great outdoors, so my free time is spent volunteering at schools, helping with Boy Scouts, building websites and Android applications, and surfing.
Vet Rocket, Santa Clara, CA
Senior Software Engineer, 3/2013 - present
Pacific Biosciences, Menlo Park, CA
Software Engineer, 10/2009 - 3/2013
Translated business requirements into applications, extensions, data models, and reports to support and improve efficiency on multiple manufacturing lines.
- Collaborated with R&D and manufacturing engineering to support product launches (NPI), develop and release software, and build reporting solutions
- Developed software and business process improvements for efficiency and quality gains such as more accurate models for functional tests and automated rework applications
- Mentored an intern in software development
- Designed and maintained Manufacturing Execution System workflow models in Camstar MES
- Architected and implemented integrations and application extensions for enterprise systems (Camstar MES, Salesforce.com CRM, Omnify PLM, and Ross ERP) and shop floor tools
- Developed desktop and server applications (using C# and SQL) to support manufacturing floor
Eklin Medical Systems, Santa Clara, CA
Software Engineer and DBA, 3/2008 - 10/2009
Developed inter-system communications solutions to facilitate pro-active system maintenance, provide a more robust service to our customers, and increase data accessibility.
- Successfully led and managed several product development projects
- Wrote desktop and server applications to perform DICOM (a medical imaging standard) communications in C#
- Created a HIS/RIS Efilm plugin in C++/C#
- Enabled a whole product line by creating a billing application that collects data from hundreds of virtual servers and thereby making possible the efficient creation of invoices for an online service product
- Implemented Subversion for the Data Services group software development activities
- Created online dynamic forms utilizing AJAX and ODBC to digitize workflows
- Developed web-based reporting and administrative tools for both customer and internal use in PHP and ASP (vbscript)
- Developed and implemented several custom objects and pages in Salesforce.com using Apex and Visualforce
Manager, Quality and Materials, 7/2005 - 3/2008
Grew a small team of materials professionals to scale with a rapidly growing business.
- Successfully moved the materials organization to a new facility with minimal downtime
- Configured ERP system Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP) model to efficiently forecast build and purchase requirements with minimal risk of excess inventory
- Created web based reporting tools (using PHP, Apache, and ODBC) to fill the gaps in existing MRP systems capabilities
- Created a complete cycle count process and supporting software
GE Healthcare / Amersham Biosciences / Molecular Dynamics, Sunnyvale, CA
Central Services Process Engineer, 10/2004 - 6/2005
Performed trend analyses on product quality, business efficiency, and customer satisfaction data; facilitated and initiated improvements both as an individual contributor and in teams.
- Developed comprehensive Cost of Quality metrics for Biosciences instrumentation that revealed a number of cost saving opportunities such as improving the rate of refurbished part usage and standardizing installation processes
Quality Engineer / Analyst, 9/2000 - 10/2004
Extracted data from disparate sources and generated reports on product and part quality, routed and responded to customer complaints, led and participated in quality improvement teams, initiated quality improvements to both parts and systems.
- Developed a Corrective and Preventive Actions application on the Lotus Notes platform
- Developed a web based inspection results application to log QA inspection results
Stockroom and Shipping Supervisor, 5/1998 - 9/2000
Led a team from 10-20 materials professionals through increased production volumes and an acquisition while maintaining high inventory accuracy.
Other Projects, 2004 - Present
- Developing Android phone and tablet applications for children
- I created and run a number of websites (including the Wiki Directory of the Web (WikiDWeb.com), which has received over 30,000 visitors per month) on my own virtual servers which I administer, and I occasionally volunteer on a few open source projects.
- Freelance work such as Google maps mash-ups like at Willowwinds.com
- Developing full websites like J1visaMD.com
- Designing an advertisement service extension that created a whole new revenue stream for Wikia Inc
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Currently serving as Cubmaster for Cub Scouts Santa Clara Pack 318
- Volunteer in the classrooms at my children's school and help the teachers with several programs
- Contributed to a number of open source software projects, including the MDCM Dicom software library, Mediawiki, and Taskfreak task management software.
- Competence with various enterprise software packages, concepts, and computer applications and systems including Camstar MES, Omnify PLM, Ross ERP, SQL Server administration and performance tuning, Salesforce.com, Microsoft Office (Visio, Access, Project, etc., - particular expertise with Microsoft Excel), Lotus Notes, ASK ManMan, and PCMRP (materials management systems)
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL TRAINING:
- Certified by the American Society for Quality as a Six Sigma Black Belt
- Trained as an internal auditor for compliance to ISO 9001:2000
- Associates Degree in Liberal Arts from De Anza College in Cupertino, CA